Monday, March 31, 2008

The Comprehensive Report

Oh my, where to begin. As my sister has told me, your blogs are longish. Yes, this I know. I’ll try to make it easier reading by giving titles for what could potentially be a mammoth blog. It’s my Sunday evening, down-time activity after a few full weeks. So full that laundry just barely happened and I have yet to do my grocery store shopping since Easter, save toilet paper, milk, apples, and cereal. ☺ C’est la vie.

Easter in Touquet
I’ve had several folks ask me, How was Easter with your family? There is SO much to say here, and I know I’m pretty free in sharing in this locale. But, I’ve opted to share with supporters via an imminent update more personal details than I will publish here. For the sake of protecting privacy and out of respect at this point, not wanting to make objects those whom are dear subjects, I will leave you with the following points.

American Brunch with the Prevotes


I had GREAT doors opened to me during this weekend, specifically with Olivia and Chloe. Olivia and I discussed all the way to Touquet “religion,” and I was able to hear much of her beliefs, her issues with the Catholic Church, etc. As I recounted to someone, I prayed for every moment that I could “preach Jesus” without preaching. I took every sentence captive and prayed God would make me faithful with the conversation. I also wanted her to hear my moments of pressing God and Jesus, that it is not a simple faith I have stepped into, for I heard one of her values being, It is important to know why we believe and practice how we do. Without understanding, it is meaningless. I also share this point with her and pray for continued opportunities to “preach” Jesus. If you receive the support letter, you will know t he story of Chloe. Sorry, it is a tender one but doesn’t make the public access blog cut.

On the whole, the weekend was actually difficult for me because it was the first Easter in my life when I wasn’t celebrating communally with the Church Christ’s resurrection. I repeatedly asked God to push me outwards, give me joy and help me serve in the midst of my sadness. (It also snowed on Easter, which also made me homesick for Chicago.) I was also able to use this, however, to tell JS and Olivia how different Easter is in France. “Everyone celebrates it here, everyone goes to mass and says the words…but it does nothing. Back home, it’s a party. We celebrate!”

Continue pressing prayers in for this family.

JAO Teaching
Thank you for your prayers for Saturday night. After spending the last month preparing, after revising and correcting my poor written French with my tutor and a couple others, and after much prayer, God gave me great peace in entering the evening with the knowledge that it is his Spirit who animates and communicates, even across language barriers. Listeners were gracious and together we discovered how important it is to both learn about prayer from Scripture and be reminded of how crucial it is for our lives personally, communally, and globally. I was delightfully reminded that as part of a team with Francois and Joel, we together carry the work of the evening and what a blessing that was and is—to see how we were synced over the span of the hours and in the midst of shifting plans (Our worship leader arrived late, which ended up being perfect after having been in Scriptures on prayer, to be drawn into worship from that.) What a good and gracious God we serve, and I was/am humbled to get to be a part of encouraging the saints through Scripture and teaching.

GBU Inside Scoop…I’s all good, foo’ (an expression my sister and I use meaning, “It’s all good, fool.”)
Since last I wrote in depth on GBU, we have kicked off the new semester and are going strong. We spent the first two weeks learning together how to facilitate a Bible s tudy using the inductive (OIA) Bible study method, led by Esther of GBU-Nord. Nari got us all organized with Excel spreadsheets of everyone signed up to receive our emails as well as a sign-up sheet for the semester of studies, which already has things flowing much better. My friend Zola came to share his story and encourage returning students. We were allowed to use a room at UTC for our first study, went back to the apartment for the next, and this Tuesday, a university representative is coming to check us out to see if we can be granted further permission for a room as well as becoming official. They are afraid of proselytization, which we don’t do. If they note anything about our group, I pray it will be our diversity and dynamic. Since the new semester we welcome 15-17 students give or take. Of these we are Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, a-religious, all being engaged for the evening with Scripture. I have been particularly encouraged at the wisdom and planning given to preparing studies thus far, and am excited for the opportunities before us together this semester.


As for meeting with the women, due to some personal issues, Xue had dropped off the scene but we have reconnected at her initiation and some exciting things are happening there. Continue pray as we meet on Thursdays for lunch. Although Nari and I are not meeting regularly, we are in consistent contact via email, phone calls, and conversations; she is a strong one and I pray for her personal growth and gifts to be used in the Kingdom. Corinne, Natacha, and I meet also one-on-one and these gals especially have made their home in my heart. When Natacha and I first met at the beginning of the semester, she was eager to talk—“I like to talk a lot, and I knew I could talk to you.” Two hours later…☺ Corinne is a tender one with a sensitive spirit and I pray God’s guidance and protection and presence over her constantly. I think she is making some life choices as a direct result of her spiritual growth that are difficult but necessary. I don’t know details, but God is moving in her and growing her in assuredness. The three of us also started swimming lessons yesterday. When Natacha found out I was a swim instructor she nearly fell over in glee. Turns out neither of them know how to swim, but we will fix that soon enough!

What’s up at L’Arche?
I go into L’Arche every day for a few hours, and continually I find they entrust me with activities. My time there has allowed me insights into several various and difficult areas for a mission worker to understand—working in France; Catholicism; social services; city/Compiegne community. Through each of these aspects I have found my time at L’Arche to serve me in almost all other areas of my living and being here. It is quite the joy and gift to go there every day, and more often than not I find I need them more than they probably need me. L’Arche represents on the whole a rather (although not entirely) believing and practicing Catholic community, open to the likes of me and others. The Tuesday after Easter during prayer and share time, I nearly lost it as Francis recounted how we have hope in Jesus’ life as Christians after Easter and when Benedicte shared that for her after Easter is the beginning of a new spiritual year. Valerie encouraged me when I shared briefly about talking with Chloe over Easter weekend—“Well, you have to because if you don’t, she might not ever be told about the resurrection.” Our decoration group continues to go well and it appears that I am in charge of salad and dessert shopping needs for Tuesday lunch. As well, Chantal and I have begun to work on a new mosaic hot pad together. She has Down’s Syndrome and cannot see well at all, so I am experimenting with how to create a “puzzle” form out of the mosaic so she can create more complicated items. We work very well together and I love this!

Decoration group creating Easter cookies, with my Grandmommy's sugar cookie recipe!


However, I am also going to talk to Francis about decreasing my hours at L’Arche by one day per week. I have fallen behind in other areas here, as well as on the whole being less organized than I usually am, not good for all that’s before me between now and July. As I have met more students at UTC and there is more work with GBU students to do, I want to shift my energies there in my remaining months. Thus, the time shift away from L’Arche.

A sad note to add on L’Arche. Sabine, one of my favorite individuals who comes daily to the workshop, was crossing the street going home on Good Friday. She normally comes and goes alone, but she also has tendencies to lock into tunnel vision. This must have been one of those times, because she did not look before she crossed and was hit by an oncoming car. All of us who work with her were there and were able to be present at the scene. Needless to say, it was quite the shock and not the most pleasant way to begin Easter weekend. She suffered multiple broken bones and will not be able to move for several weeks due to a broken pelvis. She is conscious and her head seems to be functioning as it was before, but pray for her healing in these upcoming weeks.

Personally SpeakingAn update on the non-important yet nonetheless existent elements of my life. ☺

My desk, if it could speak, feels like an abandoned child. My apartment is in dire need of a scrub down and a grocery store trip is, uh, way overdue. I’ve drunk more caffeine the last two weeks than I have since A quad 2nd semester senior year. I haven’t read for pleasure in a long time (although I did start a book over Easter; remains to be seen if I’ll pick it back up). I recently told my mother that I’m homesick for Waco, to which she responded, Whoa, haven’t heard that in 5 years! I need to buy 3 airfare tickets, all in a span of three weeks and I’m behind in general in looking ahead on the calendar. I’m out of Nutella, which I thought I would never do, finish the jar. But somehow, that bread and chocolate combo they eat here has gotten into my system. My neighbor bought me a new bike to “borrow” until I leave in July after I stupidly threw away an old handle part that is hard to find on my vintage French bike.

Not Yet, But Soon
Although I do not leave until July, the time is passing too quickly. I will be in the states (though sadly neither in Texas or Chicago) for a good part of May for my sister’s graduation and art show and a friend’s wedding. Knowing that May is limited in my time here and that when I return, June will fly, I’ve already entered that “don’t really think about it yet but start preparing” emotional mode. Ministry-wise, there is some transition work to do before I depart from GBU and JAO. Personally, I’m going to be a complete mess. I miss home in many ways—church in Waco and Chicago; living with people; family; hugs; friends that are easily reached via telephone and it doesn’t take two weeks to figure out connecting; speaking English and laughing a lot; Tex-Mex, bbq, and deep dish pizza ☺. But in some ways those are all pretty selfish. When Mahina inquired as to my departure and I said July, she responded, “Already? Wow.” When I think about leaving, all these faces flash in front of me—people known and those only starting to be known—and I get very sad. I knew this would happen, and I very intentionally don’t dwell on this reality.

However, you can begin praying for me, for my leaving as well as ministry preparations and loose ends here. On some levels I think ministry transitions seem the easiest of the two, although I know that’s not entirely true. I am in all honesty excited to go home, but as I said recently, “I’m ready for May, but I could deal without July,” which is about the best way I can put it.

No comments: