Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's Good to Be Back

After a little over two week stint in the states, mainly in Oklahoma with a run to Denver for a wedding and down to Texas to fly out, I'm back in Compiegne for the final leg. And how wonderful it is!

Me, Lauren, our cousin Casey relaxing after her art show


Even at 23 and 25, we still pull off "adorable" (in my opinion).


An impromptu run over to see Mamaw in Tyler, TX before I flew out of DFW.


Wednesday night the McAuleys graciously allowed me to organize a round table on Muslim worldview and evangelistic conversation points with students in their home. Nari, Armel, and Clement (responsables and future responsable) came for a two hour plus dinner and learning time with two workers from the Paris area. This was an exciting evening to organize and we were truly blessed by our time together and further equipped for our increasing opportunities to engage Muslim students in dialogue concerning their faith and Christianity. For most in the Muslim tradition, questioning and understanding their faith is either unacceptable or not thought of to do, a major point which Christians can engage not by antagonizing but by simply asking them questions of their faith. This can begin them on their own asking and seeking journey, one which we may pray brings them to see Jesus as more than prophet.

Me, Nari, Armel, our two guests, and Clement after our dinner round table


It was wonderful seeing three of the students and Nari had exciting news--she has been accepted for a humanitarian project in Laos using her degree in food engineering and design. She will be helping design nutritional programs for underfed children with limited resources. Is that not cool?! I jumped and got all giddy when she told me. :)

This morning at L'Arche, while meeting with Valerie before group de decoration, I was corralled into the kitchen and presented with a croissant as my welcome back. As I often arrive on Thursdays with a croissant in hand for my meeting with Valerie, Benedicte was convinced this would be a sure winner. And lest you be fooled--the way to my heart is by food. No wonder me and the French get along so well. As I laughed and savored, they peppered me with questions about my time home and I heard of Martine and Valerie's trip to London. Group deco was two short, as Gerard broke his finger and Sabine is still in the hospital. I have particularly enjoyed working with Gerard to help him discover gifts within--namely his artistic ability only recently realized--and look forward to his return. Tomorrow we celebrate 4 birthdays and I am excited to be back for them!

My time home put these next 5 weeks into a perspective that I can't quite describe other than to say I have great peace and joy and am not overwhelmed with the sadness I thought imminent. This must be God. I've been doing some reading and reflecting on Scripture, which has been a great aid, and I will hope to post those notes soon. Lunches abound with students already, weekends between now and when I leave are full, and life and ministry rolls along. Next Tuesday night some students and I head down to Paris for Passion: Paris and the last JAO of the year is scheduled for June 7th. Please continue to lift us up here.

Here are two French song links to check out. I pretty much LOVE Garou's voice and if the arrangement of Belle doesn't make you weep, something is severely wrong.

Belle
Sous le Vent

No comments: