Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tecktonik

If you're thinking about going to France any time soon, in any capacity--missions, vacation, whatever--you need to know about tecktonik. It's all the rage and why it hasn't made the blog sooner, I don't know. Maybe because my tecktonik skills are less than stellar. Chloe Prevote tried to teach me best she could, but it's the electronic part of the dance that is lost on me. However, you will see youths with old-school boom boxes or their small MP3 players cranked up to louder than I can believe dancing this together in town squares, on the streets, or in clubs (as I never made it to one of these, I can only assume). It's a cultural phenomenon originating out of Paris some years ago of which you should be aware so you don't search out emergency personnel thinking the individuals have entered into seizures. In fact, this is merely dancing.

If you are familiar with hip hop, you will be able to identity some similarities. If you are as well familiar with electronic (techno) music, you will inevitably see the influences of the music on the broken movements that combine to create a rather distinct whole. While there exists a unique form to tecktonik, in each example you will see dancers take creative license, which of course in the end is what dance is all about.

May I also add that the fashion styles you see in this video are also the current styles, especially of the men. In a word, Ew.

My Personal Favorite Example
Best of Techtonik

Stay tuned. Next post will include thoughts and methods concerning discipleship developed over the past handful of years with lingering questions that cross-cultural discipleship in France raises. As well, I'll throw in a little, "So, how are your French friends doing?" update.

No comments: