Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Week of Fetes (parties)

I'm going to add to this blog hopefully before Christmas, and I even have pictures to go with the stories...but I get a rush off of people and while the ink is flowing in my head thought I'd get it down here for you. I hope you will appreciate.

Christmas Luncheon at L'Arche on Tuesday--the French take at least 2 hours, even up to three, for mid-day lunches. Such was the case with Le Moulin's Christmas party to which 46 were invited, 5 courses and a bonbon were served, and three hours later clean-up was still ongoing. What a marvelous time we had both celebrating Christmas and honoring those who give of their time to Le Moulin every week.

Christmas Party with GBU Tuesday night--From one to the next I roll, onto GBU's Christmas fondue party. FORTY students came!!! That's a big deal. And, the GBU students took the opportunity not only to eat fondue with friends but to share about what GBU is, what we do; about Christmas and why we celebrate it, because of Jesus' coming and being a gift for all of us; about Scripture, by passing candies with verses attached to all invited. We were all skeptical if students would read them...BUT THEY DID!!! And not only that, many asked questions and GBU students as I observed explained different verses to their friends. Talk about bold and public. My role is to support, to answer questions, to mingle; and so I took the opportunity to meet friends of the students I've come to love, to offer those gourmet brownies decorated with icing and Christmas sprinkles (thanks Melissa!!!), and to pray throughout the time that God would use this time to prick in minds and hearts curiosity about the things of him. Join us in this prayer.

Christmas "spectacle" at L'Arche--Wednesday afternoon many members of the L'Arche community gathered for a theatrical presentation of the birth of Christ prepared and organized by assistants in the community. The entire salle de communautaire (like a fellowship hall) was taken over by hay, a manger scene, three different sets, and many a friendly face. What a fete it was, gloriously celebrating Jesus' birth. A personal highlight for me came during the snack time afterward when I met an assistant with whom I discussed Jean Vanier, Henri Nouwen, how we came to know L'Arche, family faith traditions...really great! A believing Catholic sincere in living it out.

And a dinner party--To top it off just got in from a very French dinner party. These are truly the moments I live for in life--aperitif (hors d'oeuvres), soup course, main course, dessert, three hours of conversation replete with all the place settings, fork and knife props, name tags (ah, the beautiful art of placing guests), and another introduction into French life. Most of the attendees were new to Compiegne and a handful were connected to L'Arche. I garnered I was the only Protestant among them, a fact which I don't go yelling in the streets because French just think we're weird, especially in L'Oise. But when asked from what tradition I came and I said "Protestant" my neighbor asked more specifically. "Ah," said I, "evangelical." He knew the term but not the context. I explained briefly we place an emphasis on "La Parole" (the Word of God), social action/justice more and more (engagement with need), and talking with others about the life of Jesus. It was a great conversation in which I tried to hear and learn where he was coming from, a practicing Catholic it sounded but not quite sure what all that does and does not include. After we made our way to the living room, myself and another guest Pierre exchanged conversation on living in a foreign country, our connections to L'Arche, what we do, the life of Jean Vanier. When I said I plan to pursue further education but am grateful for time to formulate more real and exact questions for the classroom he asked, what kinds of questions do I have, especially after life in France. That was fun (and challenging) to articulate and I was further glad to meet another member of the community. (Oh, and the flowers, big hit!)

To add to all the goodness of the fetes, I had a great conversation with Thad McAuley, GEM supervisor, about goals and objectives for ministry, re-articulating so as to be pointed with the remainder of my time here. I LIVE for these kinds of interactions and it was great to get feedback and feel in a sense set for the New Year.

AND!!! In my post office box I got a letter from Fellowship Bible Church with lots of Christmas greetings and blessings, which just tops off a fantastic couple of days. Thank you so much! What a great deal of love I felt sent to me. And this week is not even over. Whew! Tomorrow is L'Arche and French class. Friday, L'Arche and tutoring with Madame Bataille and then I leave in the evening with the Prevotes for Christmas. Hurrah!!! Meanwhile my apartment looks a little dejected but well, I'm okay with that.

A final update on Christmas because I've eluded to it--I was invited to join Jean-Stephene, Olivia, Chloe, Loick, et Gatien for the Christmas holidays. They have a house in Le Touquet, a northern beach town, and I will spend the 24th with Jean-Stephene's family and the 25th with Olivia's. She has five sisters and I've never met them or their families. I am blessed to have been invited and count this as significant time with them and gift of God for myself and for I hope being Love Come Down in their midst.

It's 11:43pm. Little tired but well, not really. But I should sleep. Joyeux Noel a tous. Je vous passe la paix et le joie de Christ pour ce saison. Je vous souhaite Bonne Annee aussi. Quels merveilleux oeuvres notre Pere a fait!!! (Merry Christmas to all. I pass the peace of Christ and joy to you for this season. I wish you a Happy New Year as well. What marvelous works our Father has done.)

No comments: