Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Coming Together

This weekend commenced a week of celebrating 100 years of ecumenicism in Compiegne. Having been particularly reflective on this subject for the past couple of months, the following came to me and I felt it right to post here.

During my senior year at historically protestant Wheaton College, philosophy professor Dr. Joshua Hochschild was released from his teaching position upon his ecclesiastical move to Catholicism. His departure was controversial on many sides, and among my peer group, many of whom were his students at one point or another, we continue to talk out and debate the issue.

Why am I writing about this on my blog about life and ministry in France? For the following reason: Do not EVER EVER try to explain why a Christian college in America released a Catholic from teaching in its classrooms to a devout believing French Catholic like say, Madame Bataille, my tutor. At first she thought she did not understand me. I repeated it in English (this was the end of our lesson and we were both standing to go). Her face blanked in disbelief as I said, “C’est dommage [it’s sad], we are the Church, we are supposed to be…” at which she completed, “unified.”

I have many things to learn here in France and about the Church in general. My lessons have only just begun and what I can do now is have conversations, ask questions, and observe. But my thought after today and some observation up until now is this: Though sadly splintered along many Protestant lines, perhaps the church in America cannot see yet the importance, the need, the requirement to work across historical ecclesiastical divides. Its churches are still filled on Sundays. For the most part we like to think those who say they are Christian believe and practice. Faith plays a public political role in such a way that we cannot imagine our national fabric woven without it.

Let us recall, however, the following: In every small French town stands a minimum of one large Catholic church. Paris is famous for its churches and a wonderful philosophy and practice of worship inspired construction of Gothic cathedrals peppering the French landscape. And these churches were indeed used. Faith had a public role too. Kings and Popes worked together and so intertwined was the Church and the Kingdom that where one ended and one began, they are still sorting out.

Yet today when asked if someone believes in God or is a Catholic several varying responses will be given: “We believe in God but we do not talk about him.” “Catholic? Well, sort of, not really, my grandmothers used to teach the children in my town prayers so we have that history.” “God, I have not thought about it.”

France is living perhaps a history many Americans cannot fathom. The faithful Catholics, and Protestants too, here know well what is at stake for both themselves and if they cannot collaborate on some levels. When discussing an upcoming ecumenical event with a member of the Baptist Compiegne church, he said, “Many from this church, L’ABEJ (social service) and L’Arche participate,” with a smile on his face proud to relay that good news. I wondered at his confident smile, for if one is a faithful American evangelical committed to ecumenical ways, it is with care and finesse at times one must traverse these worlds so as to play the game of being religiously divided but equal.

Does ecumenicism have its drawbacks, negative affects, uncharted territories, theological quandaries? I’d be looking at the Church world with those beautifully rose-tinted glasses if I said it didn’t. Yes, it is a world and a work to carefully enter, for indeed within Protestantism and Catholicism lie tenets quite incompatible and not able to be bridged, if one is to practice Protestant Christianity or Catholic Christianity with integrity. But it is a ministry the Church, American or French or anywhere else, must be about. I am saddened by Madame Bataille’s shocked face. And I am humbled. There’s an old song I like that says, “What have we become, self-indulgent people? What have we become, tell me where are the righteous ones?” I point the finger at myself. I am self-indulgent and too eager at times to come preaching Protestantism over Jesus. I am unrighteous and too often see the great gifts and accomplishments of the American church (for in honesty there are many) than the work we have to do.

Carefully forward, yes, but let us become pupils today of our brothers and sisters in France. I’ll be the first to admit I’m an idealist living in a realist world. But when it comes to the Church, to the ministry of reconciliation, to the mission of the Gospel, I pray we all can be as dismayed as my tutor was. Is she Catholic? Yes. Am I Protestant? Yes. Theological differences? Definitely. But we have Jesus, and in humility and grace we must walk forward together, for his Kingdom is coming.


Further reading:
Wall Street Journal article on Hochschild
First Things response to WSJ article
Books and Culture article on Hochschild
Wheaton College Statement of Faith
Book recommendation--Is the Reformation Over?
Book recommendation by Madame Bataille--Rome Sweet Home

No comments: