Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Spinning Head

I've been working a good part of this afternoon and a chunk of yesterday on this week's French homework assignment with Madame Bataille--a Protestant view and use of Scripture. And I laugh, as if there is only "one" to explain. I am doing a bit of reading in various reliable sources as I can find them and wishing deeply for a library, my books back home, and more books. Oh, and endless hours to read, write, rewrite, and organize. I am also wishing for fluency in the French language; but alas, that's what this exercise is supposed to help me toward. Upon review and correction of my paper, Madame Bataille is going to talk to me about the Catholic use of Scripture as well as their beliefs concerning Mary. I am excited!

She and I have had some excellent conversations recently about Catholic practices and thought as well as her being curious to pick a Protestant's brain about ours. Oh la la. So after submitting a brief and not very thorough outline of some key Reformation figures and thoughts last week, I offered, Why don't I write out an explanation of the use of Scripture in the Protestant tradition. Again, I laugh because there are so many traditions it is hard to pin it down to best explain. I find myself adding caveats for understanding, which I am sure she will pick apart and say as is typical, Oh, it is all so confusing, this Protestantism. I am inclined to agree, committed Protestant though I am.

In all of these conversations, I have to walk a very fine line of 1) not knowing the ins and outs of Catholicism as a Catholic so wanting to learn from her, 2) wanting to articulate Protestantism well and faithfully without stepping on equally faithful Catholic toes, 3) acknowledging the areas that do truly overlap where we find unity. As I write about Scripture today, I find it increasingly important to place almost each sentence of what I write in historical context, as the Catholic church of today is not the Catholic church of Luther's time. The country of France today is not the France of Calvin's time. This is incredibly important for communicating rightly the tenets and the shortcomings of Protestantism as it was created and as it exists now.

As we talk, it is easy for me to see where works-righteousness can lead if a solid doctrine of justification is not introduced. It is easy for her to see where a lack of authority structures can lead in terms of an individualistic rendering of faith and practice. At the same time, Madame Bataille and I find that many of the practical edges of our faith overlap. Good works should accompany a faith in Christ. Chastity cultivates faithfulness in marriage. Abortion and capital punishment substantially reduce the value of life. Discernment in the context of community (or the priesthood for her) should be hallmarks of how Christians make decisions. These things and more we have alighted on.

You can see, my French tutoring sessions have become a theological highlight of every week. I live for these dialogues and moments, and oh by the way, I'm learning French. Madame Bataille is adamant about pronunciation, the flow of language, and developing a rich vocabulary. For this I am all very grateful. Must get back to it now but just needed a mental break and thought readers would appreciate a French lesson glimpse.

2 comments:

Coffee Joe said...

I am sure the assignment has come and gone by now- but it might have helped to write on the protestant use of scripture during the reformation- which was not nearly so varied from one group to another as it is today.

Question: how does capital punishment devalue life?

Jennifer Aycock said...

Hey Joseph, sorry I never got back to you on books. Here's some info someone sent me:

1) J’apprends à Lire avec Sami et Julie. Good for a long-term approach to reading anything French.
2) USBORNE french books- First Thousand Words in French, for example. Usborne also has or had(?) an excellent Learn French book and cassette that followed a fun story line and would be good for kids, as well as adults.
3) Judy Mahoney--“Teach me French, A Musical Journey Through the Day”- coloring book and cassette. Lots of songs, a fun approach, but on the younger end.
4) Google "Usborne" and see what you find, also recommended.

Hope that helps.

On capital punishment, well that will be another blog/writing some day. In general, Catholics have a more consistent life-valuing ethic.